Patient Access Specialist - HHPO ED
Company: Halifax Health
Location: Port Orange
Posted on: May 16, 2022
Halifax Health is seeking a Patient Access Specialist for the
HHPO PBFS - Emergency Department.The Patient Access Specialist is
responsible for performing duties associated with Scheduling,
Pre-registration, Registration, Insurance Verification, and
Financial Counseling. -Accurately schedule patients being
registered for a hospital service. - Obtain necessary documents
required for scheduling and registration. - Promote good public
relations at all times, extending a positive, cooperative and
supportive service to patients, families and fellow colleagues.
-Pre-register scheduled accounts via contact with patients,
physicians or appropriate information sources.Create accurate and
thorough registration records for each patient visit. Secure
appropriate signatures, financial information and documents.
Identify and collect patient balances. Screen for payer medical
necessity requirements and benefit eligibility on appropriate
accounts. Coordinate admission reservations and bed placement with
nursing. -Obtain insurance eligibility, benefits, authorizations,
pre-certifications and referrals for inpatient and outpatient,
scheduled and non-scheduled visits. Update demographic and
insurance information in the system as needed. Initiate collection
process by contacting patients/representatives about date of
service deductibles, co-insurance and co-payments. Establish
financial arrangements with patients according to policy. Act as
the primary documentation source for access and billing staff.
-Interact in a customer-focused and compassionate manner to ensure
patients and their representatives' needs are met, and they
understand the hospital's financial policies.
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent required; Associate's or
Bachelor's degree preferred
- Must complete Revenue Cycle Orientation courses within 6 months
- Two -years of related work experience preferred, preferably in
healthcare or customer service environment utilizing the following
skills: - -
- Effectively communicating with individuals from varying
socio-economic backgrounds and obtaining pertinent information
- Familiarity with medical terminology
- Ability to accurately verify demographic information and
- Ability to effectively operate office equipment (i.e., fax
- Must have knowledge of computer programs such as Microsoft -
Word and Excel
- Organizational and time management skills necessary to complete
- Must be customer-service oriented and able to effectively
communicate and build relationships with -Team Members -at all
levels in the organization. -
- Professionalism in interpersonal verbal and written
communication skills with colleagues, physicians and ancillary
department personnel is required
- Scheduling Responsibilities
- Maintains a knowledge of scheduling criteria for all procedures
within department. -
- Works at a fast pace and maintains accuracy of details for each
- Schedules patient visits in a timely manner, ensuring that
appointments along with all information are complete and
- Coordinate appointments as needed with other departments.
- Answers phone and provides excellent customer service. -
- Ensures and adheres to strict confidentiality when handling
patient charts, records, and scheduling information. -
- Pre-Registration Responsibilities
- Ensures and adheres to strict confidentiality when handling
patient charts, records, and scheduling information.
- Communicates with third-party payers to obtain
authorizations/pre-certifications for patients' scheduled services
as needed, documenting this information in the registration
- Collaborates with patients, other patient access staff, the
clinical departments, and referring physician offices to ensure
that all necessary information is obtained from patients before
their scheduled services.
- Documents all information obtained during pre-registration
activities to ensure patients' accounts are complete for forwarding
to other departments.
- When necessary, refers uninsured, underinsured, and low-income
patients to patient financial advocates to secure financial
arrangements prior to service.
- Registration Responsibilities
- Enters patients into the patient tracking system upon arrival
per department procedure.
- Interprets physician orders to determine service needs. -
- Collects and scans physician orders or verifies that complete
and valid orders are on file for each patient. -
- Accurately and thoroughly collects, analyzes, and records
demographic, insurance, financial, and clinical data in computer
- Ensures information source is appropriate.
- Reviews and explains all registration forms prior to obtaining
signatures from patient or appropriate patient representative.
- Ensures patient's identification band is securely fastened upon
completion of the registration.
- Collects self-pay balances per department guidelines and posts
collections to system.
- Ensures that all monies collected are secured or turned over to
appropriate associates and cash drawers are balanced before
- Refers patients to for in-depth financial counseling when
- Provides patients with financial assistance applications per
department guidelines.Identifies payer requirements for medical
necessity and pre-certification.
- Verifies compliance or completes the screening process,
following department procedures for payment or non-payment
- Insurance Verification Responsibilities
- Advises patients and/or family members of their financial
obligation via all modes of communication.
- Obtains payment in full or secures adequate payment
arrangements/eligibility and benefit information for both inpatient
and outpatient accounts.
- Advises patients on expenses associated with service and
informs patients of payment requirements.
- Secures payments or payment arrangements on self-pay
- Discusses third-party coverage with patient and arranges
disposition of out-of-pocket balances due. - -
- Advises patients as to their financial liability and assists
them with insurance issues and activation of coverage.
- Provides superior customer service to the patient and family by
assisting with completion of required paperwork and program
applications, such as for Medicaid and Halifax Health's charity
- Serves as resource to CEA staff, Social Workers, and other
hospital staff for identification of funding sources for health
services for patients.
- Financial Counseling
- Demonstrates compliance with the Statement of Organizational
Ethics and all policies related to the organization's Corporate
Compliance Program as evidenced by attendance at applicable
- consistently carrying out job responsibilities ethically and
- exhibiting ethical and professional workplace behavior and
- -reporting any infractions using the appropriate chain of
command and without fear of retribution.
- Completes annual learning requirements, reviewing fire safety
and Isolation precaution policies, applicable code reviews,
disaster plan reviews, policies on handling hazardous and toxic
substances, and risk management issues.
- Demonstrates an interest in patient safety education and
participates proactively in identifying problems and incidents in
the department and throughout the hospital which place any patient,
visitor, or staff member at risk or injury.
- Follows EMTALA, HIPAA, payer, and other regulations and
- Demonstrates a positive and friendly demeanor even in stressful
situations to ensure a positive experience for all customers. -
- Communicates in a respectful, positive way with fellow
colleagues. -Halifax HealthRecognized by The Joint Commission as a
Top Performer on Key Quality Measures, Halifax Health serves
Volusia and Flagler counties, providing a continuum of healthcare
services through a network of organizations including a tertiary
hospital, community hospital, psychiatric services, a cancer
treatment center with four outreach locations, the area's largest
hospice, a center for inpatient rehabilitation, primary care
walk-in clinics, a walk-in clinic specializing in women's health,
two community clinics, three children's medical practices, a home
healthcare agency, and an exclusive provider organization. -
Halifax Health offers the area's only Level II Trauma Center,
Comprehensive Stroke Center, Pediatric Intensive Care Unit,
Pediatric Emergency Department, Child and Adolescent Behavioral
Services, complete Neurosurgical Services, OB Emergency Department
and Level II Neonatal Intensive Care Unit that cares for babies
born as early as 28 weeks. - For more information, visit
Keywords: Halifax Health, Port Orange , Patient Access Specialist - HHPO ED, Other , Port Orange, Florida
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!